As I sat in a cafe the other day, I thought about blog posts, and how to write a good one. I thought about why people search and read blogs too, in a hope of figuring out why things have to be a certain way in order to be successful. Here’s what I came up with:
Why do people read blogs?
- Searching for information
- Looking to meet people
- Killing time
- Looking for inspiration
When do people feel rewarded?
- when they’ve gained knowledge
- when they’re entertained
- When they can associate with the writer
- When they leave the site motivated
Therefore, blogs must contain:
- Accurate research
- humour (personality)
- opinion (educated?)
- Positive empowerment (messages and morals)
- 5 good links on the subject
- personal humourous experiences
- solid conclusions that ‘lift’ the reader
- a reason to return
Reasons to return:
- Teaser – forthcoming topics
- *Incentives (polls, competitions, community)
- a continuing story
- revealing golden assets
* Good blogs shouldn’t rely on incentives and in most cases are unnecessary, however they do apply and work.
Revealing Golden Assets:
- photos of the writers life/experiences
- releasing exclusive content (interviews, press-releases etc)
- producing unique material (music, videos, podcasts)
- Dialogue with visitors
This is only a light list, and I don’t go into much detail. E.g.: another reason to return is ‘frequently updated’ … however I like the look of 4 points per list, so I’m not changing it. I might expand on this list later, cause I could easily write a para on each point.